Monday, May 18: Acts 25- Pass the buck.

It seems to me that no leader wanted to make a decision when it came to Paul. Apparently there was no definitive rule of law, so a political leader could allow someone to languish in jail without proof as a ‘favor’ to some person or group. Passing the buck allows these leaders to avoid facing the cost of a decision.

Recalling yesterday’s chapter, as I read this chapter and anticipated the next chapter, I want to shout, “Make a decision. Decide. Do something other than pass the buck!”

In part my frustration in warranted. Certainly Festus is right in wanting to have coherent charges to send with Paul when he is sent to Rome. The last thing he wanted to do was send a frivolous case to the emperor.

In part my frustration accused me. How often in matters of faith do I avoid making a decision because it might cost me? A nudge from God to go up and speak with someone.  Really, God, what would the person think???

A nudge to give an extra gift to meet some need? Delay and maybe the need will be met?

Avoiding responsibility… avoiding faith decision… they are similar actions in different arenas.

And so I pondered avoidance… avoidance of the call of God I hear in my life.

Have you ever avoided making a faith decision?

Maybe you have been dabbling in faith with Jesus but have never made the decision to go ‘all in.’ Maybe God is calling you into some faith adventure and you are avoiding the decision. How about today making the decision God is placing before you?

Think about it.

Lord, may all my decisions today be ones that say ‘YES’ to You and Your call. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment