Thursday, May 28: Psalm 42- A decision to praise God.

My thoughts immediately zeroed in on the words of verse 5 as I read along.

Why, my soul, are you downcast?

Why so disturbed within me?

Put your hope in God,

for I will yet praise him,

my Savior and my God.

Then as the Psalm concluded with this refrain repeated again as verse 11, I knew I had found my devotional home for the morning.

I have had those days, weeks, even months, when my heart and life feels like I have been run through a blender. I am beaten and bruised, battered emotionally. Maybe it is people at work or in my family or  maybe a close friend has let me down. Whatever the specifics, I am exhausted and some days even feel like tapping out. There is no sun on the horizon.

David found his answer, his strength in the Lord.

It is almost as if he is talking himself into hope. These words feel like I am looking over David’s shoulder in the morning as he rises for another day. As he puts his feet to the floor he whispers to himself, “Ok, David, Put your hope in God. God will get us through another day. Let’s start with praise. Who is God? He is my Savior, my God. How does that Psalm go? Give thanks to the Lord…”

And so his day begins… by a decision to praise God, his God.

I have lived those days, and David’s way is good. When I don’t feel the delight of the Lord drawing me to Himself, as decision of my will to go there is good. And God always meets me.

My heart may still be heavy when I leave my time with God, but it is lighter because I am reminded that I am not alone. My Savior and my God is with me and I will praise Him still.

Thank you, Lord, for never abandoning me or leaving me alone. Thank You for always being there. My thanks are doubled when days are hard. I know You will NEVER leave or forsake me. Praise be to You Father, Jesus, Spirit, my God three in one. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment