Wednesday, May 27: Psalm 41- Worship music then and now.

So much of today’s worship music is heavily invested in “I.” They seem to be songs about me draped with a little God language. Or they sound like pop ‘love songs,’ except God is the lover rather than some boyfriend. The majesty and wonder of God seems to be missing.

Older hymns, particularly those that have lasted the test of time, often carry the majesty of God.

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!

Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;

Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty!

God in three Persons, blessèd Trinity!

But how many songs would dare sing what David sang in this Psalm?

“Have mercy on me, LORD;

heal me, for I have sinned against you.”

My enemies say of me in malice,

“When will he die and his name perish?”

When one of them comes to see me, he speaks falsely,

while his heart gathers slander;

then he goes out and spreads it around.

All my enemies whisper together against me;

they imagine the worst for me, saying,

“A vile disease has afflicted him;

he will never get up from the place where he lies.”

Even my close friend, someone I trusted,

one who shared my bread, has turned against me (4-9).

And yet that is what David sang and wrote for Israel to sing.

David wrote a Psalm, a worship song for Israel that deals with rejection and pain… a cry to God during a turbulent time of life.

This is one of the reasons Psalms are so good and their message speaks to every generation. They pray and sing about life we have all experienced. And they witness to God in the midst of the storm. They witness to God who can change and stop the storm.

Life isn’t always warm and fuzzy and many Psalms like today’s speak to those hard days.

,

Thank You, Lord God Almighty, for being present all the days of my life… and I mean all, every, no matter what days of life. Thank You and bless You. Praise be to You in Jesus’ name. Amen and Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment