Friday, May 1: Acts 11- Changing my beliefs for the sake of the gospel.

I found myself pondering the first story of this chapter. Peter defends his action of going into a Gentile’s house, sharing the Gospel and baptizing Gentiles into faith in Jesus.

It sounds fairly innocent for us living in the 21st century, but it represents a radical departure from the Jewish faith roots for the early disciples.

Peter and the others were steeped in the Jewish faith, which meant no cavorting with Gentiles. Entering their homes or eating with them was strictly forbidden. And, yet, that is precisely what God is asking them to do.

If the disciples are to take the message of Jesus to every nation, then this chasm had to be bridged. But we cannot assume it was easy. And this account shows us how difficult it was and how amazing those early followers of Jesus were to accept the change this readily.

How hard it can be for me and others to accept the changes the Gospel compels in my life!

Willingly crossing cultural and ethnic boundaries for the sake of the Gospel… that’s what Peter and the early Christians did. Am I willing to do the same? Are you?

Lord, help me to have the faith of Peter and the others in this chapter… to drop whatever You ask me to drop in my culture for the sake of the Gospel. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment