Friday, September 15: Nehemiah 7- Faith during the mundane times.

This chapter had few, if any, sparks of devotion. The details recorded were pretty mundane without much direct spiritual importance. After reading, I reviewed it a couple of times, searching for my spiritual nugget for today. Still no sparks. Was it a spiritual battery dead?

I continued to muse…

My thoughts landed on the word ‘mundane’. A small flicker of insight began... so much of life is mundane. Morning ritual of shaving, brushing teeth, showering, doing the laundry, cooking, cleaning up, straightening the house, putting clothes and things away, yard work, mowing, weeding, fixing a broken this or that, paying bills, shopping, and on and on the mundane goes. Even many of the tasks at work are mundane, repetitive, and usual,,,,then there is commuting.

As I mentioned so much in this chapter is mundane, opening and closing gates, naming officials, and genealogical list of people and gifts… mundane, mundane, mundane. Yet God has included the mundane in His Word. Why? Historical record for sure. Additionally, this reminds me that the Lord is God of the mundane even as He is God of the spectacular and we, His people, serve Him during the mundane even as we serve Him during the special times of life.

So I began to wonder how do I serve the Lord.  How do I display the Lord and how do I honor the Lord in the mundane?

Attitude… what is happening within me during the mundane. Do I see myself as a Christ follower as I do these mundane tasks? What persona do I radiate when I am shopping or driving or folding laundry or washing dishes??? What do I think about during these time and are the things I think about honorable in the Lord’s sight. They don’t have to be “religious” in nature but are they honorable and good?

How do I treat others while I am working the mundane tasks of life? Do I treat others with dignity as God would have me treat them?

Questions of faithfulness during the mundane tasks of life kept rolling within me. I am just as much a Christ-follower during the mundane times and tasks of life as I am during the special. Does my faith shine during these times, even if there is no other person to see it shine?

Turns out the mundane nature of this chapter led to a rich time with Jesus. Isn’t that just like the Lord?! 

Lord, I thank you for the mundane… for most of the hours that fill life. I thank You because they are full with YOU. You are just as much present in the mundane as You are in those special moments. Bless the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me bless His holy name.

Bless the Lord, O my soul during mundane and special times… let all that is within me bless His holy name. In Jesus’ name Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment