Wednesday, September 27: Esther 4- How does God get your attention?.

God had to get Esther’s attention. She was living in the king’s palace, so she was cut off from her uncle and regular people. She was not gathering or worshiping with other Jews; remember her heritage was kept a secret from others. We have no indication of a significant personal devotional life; again she was to keep her heritage a secret so she couldn’t have any scrolls or Torah. All she might have is anything that was packaged away in her heart.

God used her uncle, who likely remained her spiritual anchor, and his words, once digested, were all the spiritual prompting she needed.  She immediately turned to the Lord for help, strength and guidance evidenced by her 3 days of extreme (food and water) fasting.

How does God get your attention?

For me a prime element will be His Word. I might be prompted by a comment from a friend,  a thought in prayer or a door that seems to be opening.  However, somewhere along the road of discernment and figuring out what God is saying, will be His Word. His word is an anchor for me. I trust it and try to follow it. God’s Word is often general in nature, so when specific thoughts, promptings, etc. become a safeguard for me is, does it accord with God’s word?

For example, God’s Word says we are to disciple all nations, advancing the Gospel to the ends of the earth. In 2007 when an invitation to teach in Nigeria came, this specific opportunity fit with God’s framework to advance His name to the ends of the earth. Likewise, when an invitation came to teach in Korea later this fall, it fit with my understandings of the teaching of Jesus.

For me there is another important step and that is to confer with trusted people. My wife is a very important voice of discernment for things like I mentioned above. My travel affect her directly so that is one reason I discuss these opportunities with her but more importantly, she has great discernment for me. I trust her God-honoring wisdom. The elders of my church are other important voices. I would not accept any outside travel without their blessing.

Following God’s direction is so important in walking with Jesus. Have you considered how God gets your attention and then leads you into faith adventures?

Think about it…

Oh, Lord, I am so grateful that You are a God who speaks. Keep my ears and heart open to Your leading, keep me in Your Word, listening.  Bless me with Christ following friends who can confirm or correct things I sense are from You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment