Wednesday, September 6: Ezra 9- Broken before God.

 

The stain of the people’s sin of intermarrying with the pagan people of the land hit Ezra hard. When I heard this, I tore my tunic and cloak, pulled hair from my head and beard and sat down appalled (3). Appalled is a strong word!

He abased himself all day until the evening sacrifice and then he fell on his face before the Lord in prayer and confession.

I wondered, why am I not as deeply appalled by the sin of God’s people today? Why do I say little or nothing about the lack of faith in God’s church? The abortion rate and divorce rate is statistically the same for Christians as non-Christians. We are so much like the people of the world; we are virtually indistinguishable.  How can that be???

As I sit, I wonder how different am I.

I think it was Lloyd Ogilvie who first said, “If you were put on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you”?  I wonder would I be convicted.

Ezra’s jealousy for the Lord shames me…

Oh, God, forgive me, wretched sinner that I am. Through Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment