Friday, September 22: Nehemiah 13- Diligence is constantly required.

How quickly sin can reenter life. In chapter 10 people willingly made vows of faithfulness to the Lord, now by chapter 13 they have fallen back into sin again. Certainly time has passed but…

I am struck by the tenacious relentless pull of sin. We are never safe from its tentacles. It pulls and claws at every one of us. It never lets up.

As sad as this account is, it causes me to realize that I am in a constant battle against sin. When I lower my diligence for a moment I am susceptible. Diligence is constantly required and still I fall!

As I sit this morning, I am so blessed that the Lord has provided the gift of forgiveness of sin when I succumb to temptation. Week after week in worship we remind ourselves that If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1John 1:9). What an incredible gift is the forgiveness for sin!!!

I had a second thought as I read this chapter. It came from verse 1 & 3: On that day the Book of Moses was read aloud in the hearing of the people and there it was found written that no Ammonite or Moabite should ever be admitted into the assembly of God, … When the people heard this law, they excluded from Israel all who were of foreign descent. 

I wondered, is it sin if we extend the reach of God’s law, making it more stringent than God required. In verse one God excluded Ammonites or Moabites, but the Jews excluded all who were of foreign descent. Hmmm, this just made me wonder… I have to ponder this more. Interesting how sin can creep into life in so many ways, some that even seem like I am doing ‘good’.

Lord, sin is so pervasive. It is an enemy I must be constantly vigilant again. Help me!  I feel like I am not strong enough to fight this enemy by myself.  So, Lord, I beg for Your help and strength to remain faithful to You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment