Thursday, September 14: Nehemiah 6- The natural-ness of prayer.

But I prayed, “Now strengthen my hands” (9b).  The three words, But I prayed, tackled my attention.

So much was going on for Nehemiah. The work was progressing, still the critical installation of gates needed to be completed, without them the town remained vulnerable. Knowing this the opposition turned up the heat. If the gates were not installed all the years of work were for naught. This was the project enemies’ last chance. They knew it and Nehemiah new it.

The stakes were high.

It is at this point that those 3 words appear in the account. But I prayed…

Prayer is an important weapon in the arsenal of God’s people.

Nehemiah had wisdom, leadership abilities, savvy, connections, integrity all of which were important. What set him apart for God’s work was that he believed in, worshipped and consulted with the Lord. Nehemiah knew where his strength came from so he regularly dipped his head to prayer.

At this critical juncture he prayed and God opened his eyes to lurking dangers.

A little later the story unfolds further and another moment of prayer slides seamlessly into the story. As Nehemiah’s narrative progresses we read, Remember Tobiah and Sanballat, my God, because of what they have done; remember also the prophet Noadiah and how she and the rest of the prophets have been trying to intimidate me (14). This moment of prayer fits so naturally in the telling of the story, an indicator to me that Nehemiah himself slid naturally into prayer. Prayer was a natural and normal part of his life. Certainly he may have had formal times of prayer but clearly he also moved in and out of relational prayer as his day progressed. This is a sign to me that Nehemiah lived in relationship with the Lord and conversations (prayers) popped up as naturally with the Lord as with an associate.

Ahh, the power, the wonder, the natural-ness of prayer that springs from a relationship with the Lord.

Thanks, Nehemiah, for your example!

Lord, draw me close to You so that I grow in this natural-ness of prayer. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment