Saturday, September 9: Nehemiah 2- Fear is not an enemy of faith; inaction is .

In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before, so the king asked me, “Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.” I was very much afraid (1-2).

I never noticed the timing before. Chapter 1 takes place in the month of Kislev in the 20th year. Chapter 2 happens in the month of Nissan in the 20th year. Almost 4 full months lapse between chapters 1 and 2, such was the trepidation Nehemiah felt about the situation and his ultimate request to the King.

Fear is not necessarily an enemy of faith; inaction is. Nehemiah labored for 4 months with the pain he felt for Jerusalem. He prayed and mourned and obviously planned. Eventually his heartbreak showed on his face and the king noticed. This leads to the moment described above.

Fear welled up in Nehemiah, but fear didn’t cripple him and that is the key.

When we do something new for God fear often rises in us; it certainly does in me. In the moment of final decision does fear or faith win? Faith won in Nehemiah and he answered the king and laid out his plan and God gave success. The same scenario works to this day.

When faith wins in that moment of decision we step out following the Lord’s leading and God brings the success!

The issue is not fear or faith. The issue is does fear inhibit faith or just precede faith?

I confess that I have experienced both fear inhibiting faith and fear preceding faith.  The Lord is using the example of Nehemiah to encourage me to choose the latter… fear preceding faith.

It is human and natural to feel fear at something new or different or big.  It is in those moments that I have to reach past my fear and grab hold of faith; believing God has called me to step out acting as I believe God would have me act.

Recognizing that fear often precedes faith is freeing….

Thank You, Lord, for this revelation of understanding. Fear does not mean I am bad or ill equipped or anything negative like that. Fear indicates I am human. In those moments of fear I need to reach down into the reservoir of faith and grab hold of what You put in me. Halleluiah, to You be the glory!

Thank You, Lord, for this realization. Now may I have the strength and courage to live it! Amen and amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment