Saturday, September 23: Esther 1- Mark your words.

I found myself thinking about the king. What if every word we decreed was written into law and then could not be undone. (This will come up again later in the book with the decree against the Jews.) What an incredible onus we would carry if every word was recorded as law.*

I have read Luther’s Table Talk. Luther was so famous that people would join him for meals. They would listen to him discourse on whatever subjects surfaced and ask him questions on all manner of matters. Often someone would scribe what he said. Imagine someone making a permanent record of anything you said.

Apparently our presidents record many of the phone conversations and meetings… every word recorded for posterity.

Helpful words… recorded

Caustic words… recorded

Well thought-out words… recorded

Thoughtless words… recorded

Truthful words… recorded

Lies and twists of truth… recorded

Every word… recorded

I would probably be more embarrassed than overjoyed if all my words were recorded and known by others. I think knowing all my words were recorded would give me pause to speak more carefully, guarding my lips with special care.

While I do not have a constant recorder going, I do know that someday I will stand before my maker and He will have knowledge of every word spoken (But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. Matthew 12:36). Knowing this I still utter thoughtless words, lies and all manner of speech. Oh, the wretched sinner that I am.

Lord I am overwhelmed this morning by my sinfulness. I deserve nothing except wrath and yet You have lavished love, forgiveness, grace and mercy.  As overwhelmed as I was with my sinfulness I am more overwhelmed by Your lavish love.

May my lips sing of Your praise today and all of my todays. Though Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

*I realize not every word of the king was recorded and law, but this is where my thoughts went as I pondered the text as a doorway to my walk with the Lord.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment