Monday, September 11: Nehemiah 3- Lord God, this work I am about to attempt is for You..

The rebuilding of Jerusalem was truly a community effort. Everyone pitched in (except for the nobles of Tekoa who would not put their shoulder to the stone). Artisans, priests, families and clans worked together and took a section of the wall and gates as their repair section.  What an amazing undertaking.

As the chapter began I was grabbed by the fact that the high priest Eliashib and his fellow priests dedicated their work before they began. Eliashib the high priest and his fellow priests went to work and rebuilt the Sheep Gate. They dedicated it and set its doors in place, building as far as the Tower of the Hundred, which they dedicated, and as far as the Tower of Hananel (1).

There is no indication that any other workers dedicated their work before beginning and yet this simple gesture leapt off the page at me. It spoke to me of faith and faithfulness. Eliashib and his fellow priests made a statement, ‘God, this work I am about to attempt is for You’.

My mind spins with ways this insight speaks to me…

·         Beginning my day with ‘dedication’… Lord, the things I will do today are dedicated to You.

·         At the beginning of a trip –a vacation... Lord, the things I will do and enjoy are a gift from You.

·         At the beginning of a work trip... Lord, the work I am able to accomplish on this trip is for You.

·         Mealtime… Lord God, this meal is a gift from You, use it to fuel my service of You.

Meetings, projects, and so on can be dedicated to the Lord as one begins. What a wonderful simple thought.

Thank You, Lord, for the simplicity of this thought. As I begin my day today, the work of my hands I dedicate to You. In Jesus’ name and for the sake of Your fame, Oh, my God. Amen.

 

Lord, today is 911. Simply writing that name causes a flood of memories. Memories of 9/11/2001 and thoughts of all the things that have changed in this world since that day. I pray for my country that we could find our moorings in integrity, honesty and caring for all. I pray that the words on Lady Liberty would seep onto our psyche again.

I pray for peace… peace within our borders and peace outside our borders. I pray that I might be a man of peace, fueled by You and living for You. The only true peace is found in You, Lord. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment