Tuesday, July 9: Hebrews 13– Money…

The Bible says a lot about money, its use and abuse. It also contains a number of warnings about how money can lure us in and the pursuit or ‘love’ of money can drag us away from our faith. Today’s money warning was where I was prompted to pause and ponder.
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" (5).
This ‘love of money’ struck me differently because of its ‘because.’  We can stay away from the ‘love of money,’ we can be content with what we have BECAUSE God is with us. In other words, we have something better so we don’t need the lesser.
When I have prime cut filet mignon sizzling on my plate, I am not tempted by a White Castle burger! 
God has given us Himself. God has promised, Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.  When we have the best… why yearn for anything else???
My rub came as I meditated on this word. Understanding it was simple but why then do I struggle with contentment? Why are my ‘dreams’ always for more and better? Why can’t I set a lifestyle and not allow it to creep higher and higher? Enjoy cable, but then add family package, and then sports package and DVR. Oh, Netflix is only a few more dollars… and… the cycle never seems to end.
What strikes my heart and where I need to spend more thought/prayer time is wondering if this happens in my life because I don’t treasure or comprehend or appreciate what God has given me by giving me His abiding presence. And so here is where I linger…
How about you???
Lord, I state it with my mind and will… You are the best gift I have ever received. Please, Lord, imprint this onto my heart. In the name of Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment