Monday, November 5: Isaiah 48- If only.

 

This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go. If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea. Your descendants would have been like the sand, your children like its numberless grains; their name would never be blotted out nor destroyed from before me" (17-19).

If only... two convicting words.

While the Lord spoke these words to Israel, immediately I heard them in my own heart as if spoken to me. If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea... How often my sin, my waywardness and my self-centeredness create pain in my life and in the lives of others. If only I followed God's commands. If only... if only... my life would have fewer scars.

As I ponder this I am so grateful that God in His mercy has mitigated some consequences of my ill-founded behavior.

Lord, thank You for grace, mercy and forgiveness. My life is blessed because of You. Lord, I am praying for increased strength and will to be more attentive to Your voice so that I have less 'if onlys', and more faithfulness, to You in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment