Thursday, October 25: Isaiah 39- Insulating ourselves from others pain.

I was surprised by Hezekiah's response that he would be glad the punishment would not happen during his lifetime. "The word of the LORD you have spoken is good," Hezekiah replied. For he thought, "There will be peace and security in my lifetime" (8).

It surprised me that Hezekiah didn't seem to care that Israel would be carried away to a foreign land.

His response made me realize how easy it is to get caught up in our own lives and futures and miss pain and suffering around us. I am not proud to say that I can insulate my life from the pain of others. I can be close-hearted and uncaring.

These thoughts are troubling me. Jesus seemed to be very present with people he met. Am I? I know I am not responsible to solve all the world's problems. The real question is. am I caring enough to help those in need?

Hezekiah seems self-focused, not caring about what would happen to some, even in his own family. This is not a good trait for a man who, up to now, has been highly faithful.

Even good people have weak spots… Hezekiah seems to display one in today's chapter. More importantly… am I learning about some of my own?

Lord God, I confess that I am imperfect and need much help, grace, and mercy. Forgive me for my selfishness, and help me to grow in honest love for brothers and sisters, particularly those in need. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment