Wednesday, October 24: Isaiah 38- Death knocking at the door.

As I read this chapter I wonder how a faithful man like Hezekiah can fear death so much. I have seen this in life as well. God loving, faithful people, brothers or sisters in Christ, scared to death of death. Being there with folks in those moments, often I find that some misbelief is at the root of fear.

As we read on we learn Hezekiah had some misbeliefs as well. For example, For the grave cannot praise you, death cannot sing your praise; those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness (18). Death is not the end. Death is the doorway to life forever more for God's children, faithful followers of Jesus. Hezekiah didn't understand this. Apparently he saw death as a pit –that imagery alone invites fear of death. He saw death as a separator from God, those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.  I would be frightened of that as well!

Thankfully the New Testament clarifies these wrong perceptions.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-16: Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord's word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

1 Corinthians 15:51-52: Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed—in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

I could turn to other verses. Hezekiah was mistaken, people who die in the Lord Jesus go to be with him and will live with God –Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit –forever in eternity. Check out Revelation 21 and 22 for more on that life.

I do not long for death. My desire is to serve the Lord for many years still. And when death comes, I pray that I can embrace it with the same faith I have lived life... absolute belief that my life is safe in Jesus' hands.

Lord God, I rededicate my remaining years to You and I look forward to eternity with You and all Your family from the entire span of time. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment