Friday, January 22, Joshua 17 Excuses, it is easy to look for and find excuses.

This chapter continues explaining the inheritance allotment for Manasseh and Ephraim. My, how far the children have fallen from the tree. Joseph was a man who owned his difficulties and problems. Yes, he was brash when he was a youngster; no one is perfect, scripture is clear about that. Sold into slavery, Joseph didn’t pine and mope, he rose to second in charge of Potifer’s house. Falsely accused and send to prison, he made the most of his situation again, becoming respected among the prisoners.

In this chapter his prodigy whine and moan. “We don’t have enough land, “we are so numerous, we don’t have enough land. How come we have to deal with the Canaanites? They are too strong, we can’t drive them out… whine, whine, whine.” And when Joshua explains that they can extend into the forest, more pining and moaning, “We don’t have good enough land. Why do we have to clear the forest? It is so hard!”

Some how I don’t think Caleb would have whined, he would have organized and gotten after the task.

Every life and every person has issues, concerns and problems with which to deal. It could be scars from not great or down right poor parenting/upbringing. It could be medical or emotional issues. It could be learning disabilities. It could be poverty. It could be … (you continue the list). What God reminded me is that every one of us has a life-allotment, with opportunities and challenges. Our life-allotment will not be the same as the person next to us. It is very easy to look at our neighbor and whine that they have things we don’t rather than work at clearing and using what we were given. Manasseh had the numbers to drive out the Canaanites, they just didn’t! Manasseh had the numbers to clear the forest, something his brothers, given the plains, didn’t have to do. Big deal! He whined instead of realizing the wealth he was given in lumber.

God continued, now turning His gaze into my life, “Bill, you have been given xyz (fill in your name and allotment). What are you doing with them? It is easy to list what you don’t have. My word to you this morning is to list what you do have and use them. I gave them to you. I have work for you to do for My kingdom. I need you strong and I need you to be ready. I have given you much. Prepare what I have given you. There will come a day when I will call on you to offer various parts of your allotment for kingdom work.  Be ready!”

O, Lord, You are good. You have been good to me. Give me space today to recognize a few of Your gifts that have been largely unrecognized by me so far in my life and then Lord, help me to prepare them for Your service. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment