Thursday, January 28 Joshua 22: God's ways work.

 

This chapter sparked two thoughts. First, I noticed that Israel was concerned that sin by some tribes could mean trouble for all Israel. Check out verse 16-20. The leaders remember that the sin of a single family or a clan or a tribe affects everyone. Every sin impacts others. When God made a major statement to this effect with Achan, His teaching method worked and the people, or at least the leaders, remembered! God’s ways work.

Second, I watched as Joshua and the leaders handled the perceived problem. They prepared for a major problem but rather than escalate immediately, the sent a delegation to seek the truth and talk face-to-face. This reminded me of Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 5 & 18 about going to the brother who has wronged you (or you have wronged), seeking to clear up the matter face-to-face, before you use any other means like court to settle things. In this case, God’s way worked.

I thought, God’s ways work… and that’s why I carve out time each day to be with God in His word. My hope and prayer is that by doing so, His word will infiltrate and change my life to reflect His ways…

O, God, thank Your for Your word and for meeting me in its’ pages every time I spend time there. Change me so that Your ways become my first thought and my first reaction when I encounter a hiccup in life due to my sin or others… Through You, Jesus, I pray… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment