Wednesday, January 20, Joshua 15

Background Tidbit

Israel has been at war for 5 years…

Verses 14:7-10 gives some chronology. Caleb was 40 when he was sent in to spy. Israel’s sin resulted in 40 years of desert wandering and Caleb is not 85. Add it up and Israel crossed into the Promised Land about 5 years earlier and had been waging war and inheriting their land from God ever since. Another way to look at it is the accounts of chapters 1-14 take 5 years.

 

Keep at it…

Lord, as I enter Your word today, breath life into my soul through it. Give me food for my soul for today. Please, I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

I really like the story of Caleb. He and Joshua were the two faithful spies who said, “The land is good, let’s take it.” What attracts me to Caleb is that he did not gain a place of prominence. He was not accorded special treatment for being faithful. After he gave his report, he settled back into being a regular person in the Israelite community as he had been before. Yes, he apparently continued his role as clan leader but that was a distinction he had earned before and why he was chosen to be one of the 12 spies.

For the 45 years since Israel’s rebellion, Caleb did his job, kept his assignments and played his role. No hoopla, no perks, no special treatment… Caleb is, for me, a man who kept at it. Something inside of him kept him going. Integrity, fortitude, love for God, we don’t know what precisely motivated him. And it seems that he kept at it without a hint of bitterness toward the cowards who earned Israel their 40-year desert tour!

Now as the inheritance is being given our Caleb gets his reward. At 85 he is given some of the most rugged and prized territory. How much of this territory he actual was able to enjoy we aren’t quite sure. His family certainly gained the blessing of Caleb’s faithfulness but what he enjoyed seems somewhat minimal.

Faithfulness does not necessarily equate to material/financial/personal recognition or blessing this side of eternity. Caleb kept on being faithful, because it was the right and godly thing to do. That’s what I see in the OT hero of mine.

I also notice that Caleb at 85 was up for a new challenge. He lived valiantly as long as he could. No ‘retirement’ from God’s mission for this man! I resonate with that as well…

Lord, give me a Caleb spirit… the willingness to do what is right in Your eyes, not for a reward but because it honors You. And Lord, give to me Caleb’s spirit of ‘keeping on’ as long as there is strength in my muscles and wisdom in my mind… Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment