Saturday, January 23, Joshua 18

The reading of the ‘will’ (the inheritance of Israel) continues, much of which amounts to a geographical study of the Land being given to Israel. Not riveting reading but just as much the pure and wonderful word of God as Psalms, or the gospels, or name-your-favorite-book. As such, it deserves our attention… our prayer-full attention.

Today as I read, God began to spark thoughts for me, particularly with the first part of verse 7: The Levites, however, do not get a portion among you, because the priestly service of the LORD is their inheritance. … The Levites worked at the tabernacle. They cared for the poles and curtains and furniture of the tabernacle which was the seat of God among the people. The Levites assembled, de-assembled and carried the tabernacle every time God had them move during their 40-year wilderness wanderings. Then they ministered, before the Lord, as part of their Temple work, assisting the priests. But it was not priests who offered the ritual sacrifices and stood between the people and God. They were the caddie to the golfer, or the secretary for the boss or the porter of the hotel, the kitchen assistant to the chef (not even the sous chef).

The Levites were given 48 cities but no land they lived off the generosity of Israel through the tithes given at the temple.

All of this, plus the information below, swirled in my thoughts as I contemplated verse 7, the priestly service of the LORD is their inheritance. Everyone else in Israel received land as an inheritance. The Levites received service. Hmmm…

To be in God’s presence, dealing with the things of God, even if it was grunt work, was their supreme inheritance. This rattles my mind and challenges deeply. So much of my life (life as we know it in 21st century America) is about things, possessions, land, houses, electronics, trips, toys, … stuff… material stuff. So much of American Christianity measures ‘faithfulness’ in terms of the stuff God (is it God???) gives us. And yet here, buried in chapter 18 of Joshua, in a lone verse among hundreds outlining the inheritance for each tribe, is a kernel of truth that upsets my apple cart.

The Levites inheritance wasn’t stuff; it was service in God’s presence…

Frankly, I need to steep in this truth today. I have no simple response, no easy prayer. This word needs to linger, to steep, to marinade, to saturate my thoughts and life.

Lord, I have only one prayer thought right now, don’t, PLEASE DON’T, allow me to get busy in the hustle and bustle of today’s ‘to-do’s’ and let this thought go. Keep it marinating in my life. Lord, I have done some bent-wood woodworking. First I had to soak the wood until all the fibers were moist and pliable, then I had to put the wood in a strong press/form with many clamps to hold it in place. Then after time, when it was fully dry, I could relieve the clamping pressure and the wood conformed to the form I placed it in. I ask you to do this with me as I think about today’s word from You. Amen.

Lord, as I place the final period, there is within me some fear. This is a radical thought and I don’t want to pretend otherwise…

 

Additional Background Information:

The Levites

The Levites were consecrated to God and given by God as a gift to Israel in order that they might perform the duties at the tabernacle (Ex. 29; Lev. 8). Their work made it possible for the people to come to the tabernacle and offer sacrifices for the atonement of sins. The Levites assisted the priests in their responsibilities (Num. 3:5-9; 16:9) by preparing grain offerings and the show bread, by purifying all the holy instruments used in the Temple, by singing praises to the Lord at the time of the morning and evening offerings, by assisting the priests with burnt offerings on sabbaths and feast days, and by being in charge of the Temple precinct and the chambers of the priests (1 Chron. 6:31-48; 23:1-13,24-32; 25:1-6; 2 Chron. 29:12-19). Because of their work, the holiness of the Temple was maintained and the glory of the Lord dwelt among Israel. During David’s reign, the Levites were integrated into the administration of the government including the keeping of the gates, judges, craftsmen, musicians, and overseers of the royal treasury (1 Chron. 9:22-28; 23-26) In Jehoshaphat’s time, the Levites were involved with teaching the people the word of God (2 Chron. 17:7-9). This responsibility probably continued into the postexilic period of Ezra (Neh. 8:9-12).

(Gary V. Smith, Holman Bible Dictionary)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment