Joshua 1 The Lord is with us.

Every year seems to bring with it surprises, ups and downs, twists and turns. I have no idea what 2010 bring, but this I know: the Lord God is with me (us).

Reading this chapter, I was attracted to verse 5b: As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. God’s promise to Joshua, in particular, caught my attention. God promises to be with him, to never leave nor forsake him. This is the third time God makes that promise to Joshua (see Deuteronomy 31:6 & 8).

Hebrews 13:5 applies God’s promise to Joshua to us. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Just as Moses trusted God to be with him and guide him (even after he sinned, by the way), just as Joshua trusted God to be victorious as they moved into and conquered the Promised Land, so we can trust God and to be content with whatever comes our way. That’s what God is reminding me today as I sit with Him.

I don’t know what 2010 will bring, but I do know that the Lord God will not leave nor forsake me. I know that Jesus will be with me, even to the very end of the age (Mt 28:20). And because Jesus is with me I need not fear. Whatever 2010 brings, God will be with me!

Father, Holy Spirit, Jesus, it is incredibly comforting to know and to be reminded that You will never leave nor forsake me. Lord, help me to remember this especially if 2010 brings some hard times and tough experiences.

Lord, remind me of this prayer and Your presence during the good times ahead, as well, because in good times I am often very quick to think it is a result of my goodness rather than Your presence, grace and mercy.

Lord, I move into this year delighting that You are with me because You are the difference maker in my life. I love You, Lord, and pledge to walk with You, honoring You as Lord and Savior of my life. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment