Thursday, January 21, Joshua 16 Unfinished jobs.

I find it interesting that in this brief description of the Ephraimites, it notes the job they didn’t do. Verse 10, They did not dislodge the Canaanites living in Gezer; … It seems harmless, especially when the text continues that the Canaanites are required to do forced labor. But allowing the Canaanites to remain will be anything but harmless as time goes on. The Canaanites will be the source of countless problems and disobediences in the years to come.

I began thinking that there are areas/attributes/behaviors in my life that I know God would have me clean up and yet I let them hang around. I sometimes think I can harness them for some positive outcome. Yet over and over again, I learn, down the road apiece, that God was right and those behaviors I choose not to deal with, that God alerted me to, come back to hurt me. Like the Ephraimites, I am spiritually lazy and I leave the job unfinished, to my spiritual peril, I might add.

Lord, You are showing me an insight that is not particularly comfortable. Sometimes I take the easy road (or the lazy one) and leave tasks You have for me to do unfinished or partially finished. I am sorry, Lord. Help me to be a finisher… I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment