Mark 16 Finally some good news.

After the last two days of pain walking with Jesus, while He gives His live as an atonement for sin, my sin, I was glad to get to resurrection morning. I personally pay attention to the note about verses 9-16 that they were not included in the oldest manuscripts. As a result I ended my daily reading with verse 8.

Choosing that ending, provides a different feel than the other gospel writers present. They continue the story, giving people an opportunity to adjust to the staggering truth that Jesus is alive, resurrected! But Mark ends with bewilderment. "Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.'" Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid. (6-8, bold mine).

I stopped and mused on the picture painted by Mark. There was something honest and very human about it. Trembling, bewilderment, even fear, I can relate. The staggering news that Jesus was raised from the dead was not an easy truth for me to handle. It took me time. I don’t believe I needed time to think it through as much as I needed the time to let the truth seep through my entire life. After all, truth like that is ‘mind bending’ and ‘life-altering’.

35 years ago I sat in a college Bible study listening for the first time to someone share their witness to Jesus’ resurrection. I was 19. I had grown up in the church worshipping weekly. I knew the story of Jesus’ resurrection, but for the first time in my life someone was talking about how resurrected Jesus was impacting their life today. He spoke about Jesus as if Jesus was ALIVE! My whole life I had heard the story of Jesus taught. Somehow, for me, the story was removed from real life or at least it was removed from my life. That night at a college Bible study Jesus’ story hit me differently. It was ‘real,’ personal, mind bending…

I left the room, drawn to the story in a way words cannot explain, at least briefly. And yet there was within me a fear, a bewilderment. I think I knew deep down inside that if I believed ,truly believed, Believed with a capital “B,” an ‘all in’ kind of belief, ‘put your life on the line for it’ kind of belief, that it would alter my life forever. So I wrestled, wondered, thought about it, pushed away and thought about it some more. For two weeks this went on until God brought me to a point of decision. That’s a story for another day…

As I listened to Mark’s account, I felt with the women. They, too, were at such a point. The news was mind bending. Remember they were carrying burial spices to wrap the body when they learned Jesus was resurrected! Bewildered and even fearful, they needed time to process. The more I think about this account the less I think their bewilderment and fear was due to disbelief. I suspect it was because they realized that believing would be life altering…

"You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! (8).

Are you bewildered or afraid as you hear those words? That’s okay. Those words are staggering. A person who was dead and buried is alive again. It is mind-bending. The real question is, will you allow that news sink deep within and become life altering? Will you? Have you?

If yes, simply tell Jesus you believe…

Lord Jesus, I thank You that 35 years ago, I told You “I believe.” Since then You have led me on the ride of my life. I am a changed person and a changing person. Thank You and bless You and praise You for confronting me with the truth that You are alive and Lord and God. Thank You for giving me the time and space to wrestle with this mind bending truth, giving me the time I needed to allow it to become life altering. I love You, Jesus, and I will serve You with every breath until You take me home to be with You forever…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment