Friday, August 13: 1Kings 15- Am I doing right in the eyes of the Lord?

With the naming of each king, there follows a tag line, ‘so-and-so did evil (or ‘what was right’) in the eyes of the Lord’. The chronicler of the lives of Israel’s kings states their fidelity to the Lord, front and center.

In our chapter 4, kings are introduced and only Asa, king of Judah, “did what was right in the eyes of the Lord” (11). One in four is not particularly good odds, only 25%. Only time will tell if this ration improves or declines.

Considering this summary statement, caused me to contemplate my life.  What would be said of me? It is easy to be cavalier and say, “Hey, I am a good person”, but true introspection takes thought and time. A Greek philosopher once noted, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” An interesting thought indeed.

As I contemplated, I thought, maybe I would be better served asking myself, “Am I doing what is right in the eyes of the Lord, right now in this particular phase of life?”

·         Am I parenting rightly in the eyes of the Lord?

·         Am I acting rightly in the eyes of the Lord in my job/profession

·         If married- in the eyes of the  - am I living faithfully and lovingly toward my spouse?

·         If presently unmarried- in the eyes of the Lord - am I sexually pure in my dating relationships?

·         Do I handle my finances rightly in the eyes of the Lord?

True self-examination moves from the center to the corners of my (our) lives…

Lord, as I walk through my life, please travel with me. Shine Your light on issues and behaviors which need to be exposed. Help me to see areas that need cleaning and areas that are solid and healthy. Lord, it is my desire to have the words “Bill did what was right in the eyes of the Lord”, an epitaph of my life. And that, Lord, will take work on my part and the guidance of the Holy Spirit along the road of life… in Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment