Monday, August 16: 1Kings 17-A step of faith.

With a sudden jolt, a new character is added to the storyline of the text, Elijah, the Tishbite. Elijah, we will learn over the coming chapters, is a mighty prophet of God. The woman from Zarephath was apparently the first to learn of Elijah’s close connection to the Lord.

It is unknown whether Elijah has a reputation for being a prophet prior to this account. My assumption is that he did not.  The introduction of his name and town tends to be an initial introduction in the Old Testament.

Contemplating this, I put myself in the life of the woman from Zarephath. What faith she showed in Elijah.

In a time of drought, Elijah meets her at the town gate and asks for water and some bread to eat. Israel has a strong hospitality ethic, but consider the circumstances, the woman down to her last meal was asked to share it. Honestly, and seemingly without bitterness or malice, she explains her plight.

Elijah reveals what the Lord has said to him, that her oil and flour will not run out, “Now please make me my bread first and then bake what you and your son need”. She complies.  Is it an amazing act of faith or desperation?  I believe faith.

Something inside told her this man was a prophet not a charlatan. Something inside said God honors hospitality, so she takes this incredible step of faith using her last oil and flour to bake this stranger a cake.  However, it is not her last and she bakes bread for her son and herself… and continues to do so for some time.

The account continues with other steps of faith and miracles of God but I find myself considering the faith of this woman.

What conviction she displayed, truly putting her faith on the line and stepping out to trust God through this man of God, Elijah.

Lord, grant me the faith of this woman from Zarephath.  Grant me the faith to believe and follow You without reservation. In Jesus name, Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment