Tuesday, August 17: 1Kings 18- Clash between good and evil

Elijah against the prophets of Baal. The Lord God verses false gods… the clash between good and evil and God wins. Honestly, it isn’t really a contest.  When the Lord God steps on the mat, the match is over. Evil may bluster and blow and talk a good game but when the battle begins, evil is defeated from the start.

This is the message of Elijah on Mt Carmel, Jesus at Calvary and the book of Revelation. God wins and ultimately it is not even a contest. God is God and posers aren’t.

It feels safe to say this after having read this amazing account, which I believe is literally true. It feels safe to hear of it when a friend like Jackson Senyonga tells his story about confronting the powerful witchdoctor in his Ugandan village.

The question of the morning is would I have the faith of Elijah were I standing there face to face with 400 prophets of Baal?

Would I have the faith to take on the witchdoctor who has the village wrapped in fear and I am God’s representative to take him on… the Lord God against the demonic powers for which the witchdoctor is the channel?

Do I have the faith to stand for the Lord in the face of all manner of evil, demonic powers that keep people in bondage (like Baal and the witchdoctor) and systemic evil that encases people and people groups in the grip of oppression? William Wilberforce stood his ground against the evil of the African slave trade propelled by Christ his Savior. Gary Haugen daily stands in the gap for those held by the evil of sex-slave trafficking with the International Justice Mission.

When asked by the Lord, would I, do I, will I, stand against evil demonic and personal and/or systemic and oppressive in the name of the Lord? Would I? Will I? Do I?

Such is my day’s devotion…

Lord, I pray so… I pray so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment