Friday, August 6: 1Kings 9- Integrity of heart

Today I read how the Lord reestablished His covenant with Solomon.  If Solomon and the kings after him, stay faithful to God, God will watch over them and bless them. If they prove faithless, God will reject the temple. As the Lord was explaining the covenant, He makes this statement: if you walk before me in integrity of heart and uprightness, as David your father did, and do all I command and observe my decrees and laws, I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever … (4-5).

The words integrity of heart and uprightness captured my attention. As I pondered this, I thought David sinned- even grievously sinned, so integrity of heart and uprightness cannot mean be perfect. David was far from perfect. So I pondered some more. David sinned, Yes, but David never ran after other gods.  He was always faithful to the Lord and when the Lord sent someone to confront David of his sin, David never shrank away. David never tried to justify himself or blame someone else. David’s reaction was always humble submission to the Lord. And when given a choice, David threw himself into the arms and discipline of the Lord, knowing God is merciful.

Integrity of heart and uprightness pictures a person who does not chase other gods and when confronted by his/her sin admits, confesses and accepts the Lord’s discipline with humility. Integrity of heart and uprightness speaks of a person who remains faithful to the Lord, imperfect though he/she might be…

Lord, create in me integrity of heart and uprightness… Lord Jesus, I surrender to You and serve only You and when You see sin in me, discipline me according to Your mercy.  Please will that my life will become more faithful to You. Lord, I desire to have it said of me, ‘he lived with integrity of heart and uprightness’… Only by the strength given by Your Holy Spirit will this be true… I pray it so. Through Jesus, my Lord,I pray, Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment