Monday, August 23: 2Kings 1-Who am I listening to?

This short account of Ahaziah sparked the question, “Who am I listening to?” Ahaziah was blatant when he sent messengers to consult a pagan god about his life crisis.

Through Jesus and the Holy Spirit we have God with us.  The question of the morning is, “Do I rely on God, self, or worldly wisdom when facing life issues?”

Ahaziah turned his back on God and directly consulted foreign pagan gods. A comparable sin would for me (you) to consulting a horoscope or a medium of some sort to get advice. Honestly, that is not an issue I face. Hopefully, you don’t either.

But as I pondered the question further, I realized that I (we) do not need to be that blatant to stumble. I (we) face all kinds of pressure to consult with all manner of pundents on all kinds of issues. The question that fired in my thinking was, “Do I seek advice from friends and experts rather than the Lord?” The key word is ‘rather.’ I absolutely believe that God works through the advice of others and principally through wise brothers and sisters in the Lord. But do I run there and then act without seeking God’s will on the matter as well?  Here is my wrestle point.

Through faith in Jesus, I have access directly to God in prayer. And who knows better than the Lord? Do I live this reality? Do I truly seek the Lord in those times of crisis or do I seek only the advice of friends, experts and confidants?

Here is where I linger in my time with Jesus this morning…

Jesus, Lord, and Master, do I consult You in prayer? Do I lean on You as I live my life? Do I? Let’s discuss this, this morning… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment