Saturday, August 21: 1Kings 22-God is sovereign

The word against Ahab had been decreed and this chapter reveals how God worked out the plan He determined to bring Ahab down. For a while I sat and mused on the particulars.  After a time of rest, Ahab itching for battle, placed a lying spirit in the false prophets of Israel. Even the alliance with Jehoshaphat gave Ahab a false confidence about entering the battle and a random arrow striking through Ahab’s battle armor.  Hhmmm, God is in control.

Then I stepped back from the particulars and considered the bigger picture. What God decreed is established,  This is the thought that carried me into my day. The Lord God is sovereign! Sometimes I can get bogged down in how God works but today I thought mostly that He works to bring about His decrees in His time (remember Ahab repented in sackcloth and ashes so God held back his judgment for a time).

This led me to search my life asking if I am abiding in and cooperating with God’s will as He has revealed it in Scripture.

Lord, You are sovereign, Your will prevail. By the grace and voice of the Holy Spirit, show me what parts You would have me play in bringing to pass Your will. Lead me to people with whom I can share Christ or ways I can move Your will down the pitch toward Your ultimate or intermediate goal. Like Jehoshaphat, I want to do what is right in Your eyes.   Lord, I want even to remove any ‘high places’ (seeds of idol worship) in my life and in the life of the community of faith in which I live… to Your honor and glory. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment