Wednesday, August 18: 1Kings 19- How human we are

I couldn’t escape the thought of how human we are. Amidst the amazing provision and revelation God provided Elijah in this chapter, I was griped by Elijah’s humanness. Yesterday was an incredible day of victory. Elijah was God’s man. Faithful and bold he challenged and ‘stared-down’ 400-false prophets and their god Baal. In a ‘war’ of gods, the Lord and Elijah stood. Immediately following his stand against the prophets of Baal, Elijah prophesied rain after 3 years of drought and the rain came. It was an amazing day of incredible faith and faithfulness.

Now in today’s scene, the next day or so, Elijah cowers at the threat of the Queen Jezebel and he runs for his life. Revealing the depth of his despair and depression, the day after a 24-hour trek into the desert to hide, he finally sits and whines to God, “I have had enough, LORD," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors" (4).

Mighty man of God reduced to a cowering puddle of fear. So human is Elijah: strong one day; weak the next. Faith-filled one day; faith-empty the next. My God can and will do great things one day; God who, get me outta here the next.

Elijah is a mixed bag of strength and weakness… how human we all are…

O, Lord, help me to use my strengths for Your glory and to turn my weaknesses over to You that You may help me grow in my areas of need. Lord, I see many days of weakness in my life. Propel me forward to days of great strength, too. In Jesus name and for the sake of His church, I pray.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment