Saturday, August 7: 1Kings 10-What's your reputation say?

Solomon’s life, like most of ours, is jammed packed with mixed motives. We are not perfect and that is why we need the redeeming love of God and the atonement of Jesus to save us.

Reading my chapter today, verse one leapt off the page… When the queen of Sheba heard about the fame of Solomon and his relation to the name of the LORD, she came to test him with hard questions. It was the words I underlined that particularly caught my attention. Why did the Queen of Sheba want to meet Solomon? Was it His fame, His wisdom? Yes, but also His relation to the name of the LORD!

What a great thing to be known for… Solomon was known for his relations to the name of the Lord. I began to think about my own life.  What am I known for, what will I be known for? Reputations are largely built on the things we have done and continue to do throughout our lives. The question this text asks of me is, “Is there an element of my reputation that is built on my relationship with the Lord?”

It is one thing to do good works, even God-exalting good works, but it is another to be known for your relationship with Jesus.  That’s what the Spirit is whispering to me as I meditate and pray on this passage…

Lord, may the character of my relationship with You be honoring of You. May it be seen by others, not in any arrogant way, rather simply as a deep and abiding connection with You. May others see You through the way I live… I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment