Monday, August 2: 1Kings 5- God-honoring service

When we were last in the Word, God addressed whether or not I (you) was managing my life well. Today, for me, God pushed that envelope and probed if I (you) was engaged in God-honoring service.

The first specific task mentioned about Solomon’s rule is the building of the Temple. This was a dream of his father’s which Solomon was now executing. He set to the task straight away and gave enormous resources to the task. Certainly the building of the Temple was a priority for Solomon.

The word ‘priority’ burrowed its way into my meditations.  Is ‘God-honoring service’ a priority in my life? Am I willing to take on tasks of any magnitude should I believe God has ask it of me? I have missionary friends who came up with an incredible idea to build greenhouses that could provide a revenue stream for orphanages that they manage, plus provide a consistent source of income for the people they hire to work it. The deal is they had the idea, believed it was from God, but had no startup capital to seed the concept and find out if it would work. What did they do? They financed the initial greenhouse with their personal retirement money!

This is an example of ‘God-honoring dedication’ that God is presenting to me (and possibly to you) through Solomon’s building of the temple.

Am I, are you, giving priority to engagement in a God-honoring service?

O, God, this is a big question.  It cuts to questions of… how I am using and willing to use finances, time, effort for kingdom service? It challenges me to explore the gifts with which You have graced me.  Am I offering them to Your service? Let me not dispense with contemplating them when I close my Bible and move into the remainder of today… In Jesus’ name, I meditate and pray, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment