Monday, January 2: Jeremiah 5-Painting a sad picture.

Funny how we view other lives, often with rose colored glasses. I have lived in many different kinds of communities; farming, rural, blue color, middle management types, suburbs, wealthy suburbs, northern cities, southern-type cities, New England and middle America. It has been delightful. Every stop a joy, however, every stop with its difficulties.

One thing I find interesting is how people in one area view ‘others.’ For example, I know people who envy business types who get to travel the world on business trips. It does sound glamorous jetting the world and having a passport filled with numerous national entry stamps. Glamorous until you talk to the people who have to do all the business travel. As one put it recently, “same hotels, same business dinners, rarely ever sightseeing, being away from family, jetlag… it is drudgery.”

Until we walk in someone else’s shoes, we honestly cannot say what ‘their’ life is like.

One thing, however, is true; universally humanity is unfaithful to God’s design and ways. Jeremiah opens with an incredible indictment of Israel and Judah. Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem, look around and consider, search through her squares. If you can find but one person who deals honestly and seeks the truth, I will forgive this city (1).

Looking for one honest person… ONE and God would spare the city. But it didn’t happen. There was not one! Verse 11 sums things up: … The house of Israel and the house of Judah have been utterly unfaithful to me," declares the LORD. It is easy to say “Oh, that’s them”… and miss the fact that it is also me/us. Humanity of all generations and locations is scared and utterly unfaithful.

So in the time of Jeremiah, God said, “Enough, time has come to reap what you have sown, I will send a country to punish you…”

I cannot say when, only God sees the grand calendar, but I can say that God will judge us all for our unfaithfulness…

This reading today takes me to confession.  How about you?

Search me and know my heart, see the wickedness with in me and purge my sin from me. Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean, wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Let the bones you have crushed rejoice…

Then lift me, O Lord, that my life might praise and exalt You, my redeemer and my God. Amen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment