Monday, January 9: Jeremiah 11-Personal Cost.

Throughout the last chapters I have wondered about Jeremiah and the emotional cost he experienced having to bring word of judgment after word of judgment. I could imagine that a call and task like that would bring heavy emotional toll. What I never considered was death threats and plots against his life. Toward the end of today’s reading, God reveals to Jeremiah that his life was in danger…

Because the LORD revealed their plot to me, I knew it, for at that time he showed me what they were doing. I had been like a gentle lamb led to the slaughter; I did not realize that they had plotted against me, saying, "Let us destroy the tree and its fruit; let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name be remembered no more." But, O LORD Almighty, you who judge righteously and test the heart and mind, let me see your vengeance upon them, for to you I have committed my cause (18-20).

Reading this, I was struck by the tremendous toll on his life that obedience to God’s call required!

I want to follow the Lord, but I don’t really want it to be hard. I want people to respect me and like me but that is not always the case, and I live in the United States. I have friends serving Jesus around the world where cultures are hostile to Jesus and Christians and their lives are even in danger.

All of this musing reminds me that there are costs to following Jesus and doing what God would have us to do.

My life is not Jeremiah’s. God has not asked me to speak words of judgment to my nation. To the best of my knowledge, my life is not in danger but costs abound. I know people think that my beliefs are foolish. I carry strains with some in my denomination over which I may have to make certain stands that may not be understood or accepted and may cost. Following Jesus costs…

Lord, help me stand for You no matter the cost. This is my prayer today and every day. Lord, help me be faithful. I cannot do it on my own, help me be faithful. In Jesus’ name and for the honor of Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment