Thursday, January 26: Jeremiah 26- One more chance.

Early in the reign of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, this word came from the LORD: "This is what the LORD says: Stand in the courtyard of the LORD's house and speak to all the people of the towns of Judah who come to worship in the house of the LORD. Tell them everything I command you; do not omit a word. Perhaps they will listen and each will turn from his evil way. Then I will relent and not bring on them the disaster I was planning because of the evil they have done. Say to them, 'This is what the LORD says: If you do not listen to me and follow my law, which I have set before you, and if you do not listen to the words of my servants the prophets, whom I have sent to you again and again (though you have not listened), then I will make this house like Shiloh and this city an object of cursing among all the nations of the earth'" (1-6)

Grace upon grace… grace upon grace, but there comes a day!

With all the finality of judgment that God has recently spoken in the preceding chapters, I was totally surprised to read these words. Tell them everything I command you; do not omit a word. Perhaps they will listen and each will turn from his evil way. Then I will relent…

Grace upon grace… grace upon grace…

God’s heart beats for Judah (God’s heart beats for us) and He holds out one more opportunity to turn and return to Him. That’s the God I have come to know, love and serve. To a thief dying on a cross, moments left before he is judged and sent to an eternity in hell, Jesus offers grace. And once Jesus’ grace is accepted, Jesus says to the dying thief, “Today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43).

Grace upon grace… grace upon grace…

But there comes a day when God’s grace-offer expires. That is the day of judgment. If you do not listen to me and follow my law … then I will make … and this city an object of cursing among all the nations of the earth.

Grace upon grace… grace upon grace, but there comes a day!

There was a second thief dying on a cross. He, too, hung with Jesus but he refused to accept Jesus’ grace. Instead this second thief continued to heap insults on Jesus (Mt 27:44). He received no words of salvation. Sadly he died in his sin to face God’s judgment.

Judah in Jeremiah’s day chose not to accept God’s grace-appeal to turn and return.  Many died and the rest went into captivity in Babylon.

Grace upon grace… grace upon grace but there comes a day!

Have you accepted God’s offer of grace…???

Oh, Lord, thank You for grace. I pray for those who have not accepted it. I pray that they come to their senses and turn or return to You through faith in Jesus Christ. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment