Thursday, January 5: Jeremiah 8-Self-examination.

 

I find it difficult reading God’s anger day after day but that is what the text brings and all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2Tim 3:16).

As I listened to and pondered the text after reading the whole of the chapter, verse 6 seemed to arrest my attention. God speaking, I have listened attentively, but they do not say what is right. No one repents of his wickedness, saying, "What have I done?" Each pursues his own course like a horse charging into battle.

This verse conveys the essence of sin: Each pursues his own course like a horse charging into battle, as well as the nature of ongoing rebellion, No one repents of his wickedness, saying, "What have I done?"

Sin is doing my own thing as opposed to God’s.  Continued rebellion results because I don’t examine my life and therefore I don’t recognize my wickedness. The result is that I continue to live in the ‘bliss’ of my sin-filled ways.

This reminds me of the importance of truthful, honest self-examination…

Oh God, walk with me as I examine my life. Show me where I am rebellious, unfaithful and in need of change and transformation. Please, Lord, help me to be honest with myself… so that I can be honest before You….

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment