Wednesday, January 11: Jeremiah 13- The danger or pride.

I first noticed ‘the word’ in verse 9. Something caused it to be highlighted as I read that verse, maybe because it appeared twice in one verse. The word popped up again in verse 17. The word is ‘PRIDE.’  

I was reminded of the Proverb 16:18: Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Unchecked pride can be a real spiritual problem.

Apparently pride was Judah’s problem. This is what the LORD says: 'In the same way I will ruin the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem (9). Reading this chapter and remembering the proceeding ones, it seems that Judah had grown pride-full of her place with the Lord. Even though she was living faithlessly, she believed that the Lord would not let harm come to her. As God had protected her in years past, like when Assyria attacked under Hezekiah, God would protect her now.

Writing this it seems to make no sense but I have seen it. People become so ‘satisfied’ with a skill or ability or a relationship that they assume it means they are impervious to problems. Drivers become so secure in their ‘good driving’ ability that they grow careless and the next thing you know boom (!) an accident.

I see it in churches where people assume, ‘Hey I’m a member. I professed Christ x-years ago’. And yet their present living reflects no relationship with the Lord. I’ve seen people like this drift from regular worship. Membership on a roll is no a guarantee of eternal security.  Only a living relationship with Jesus Christ and the life of faith that results, is.

Pride was a significant part of Judah’s fall…

And so the Spirit whispers to me, “Bill, how’s your pride? Is it unchecked, growing too much? Remember, Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Lord, help me keep my pride in check… in and through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment