Saturday, January 21: Jeremiah 22- How your life foundation?.

Josiah was a good and faithful king, unfortunately his sons didn’t follow in his ways. Their evil ways led Jerusalem and Judah to destruction by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. Today’s chapter is God’s judgment of Josiah’s sons. (I have attached a summary of the OT Kings to provide an overview of the men who ruled over Israel.)

In the midst of these judgments God spoke a word to Shallum which sparked my meditation for this morning. Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness, his upper rooms by injustice, making his countrymen work for nothing, not paying them for their labor (13).

Through this verse it felt like God was saying to me Woe to him who builds his life by unrighteousness, who makes his living by injustice.

This fall inaugurated the 2012 presidential race, particularly among Republicans seeking the party’s nomination. It has been a game of attrition. A number of the would-be front runners were knocked out of the race because life issues and integrity issues surfaced. Woe to him who builds his life by unrighteousness.

The last few years have seen too many monetary meltdowns often due to illicit, imprudent or down right illegal practices. Woe to him who makes his living by injustice. The Word from the Lord gives me pause to evaluate my life and my foundation…

Integrity or unrighteousness…?

Injustice or fairness…?

Shady business dealings or honesty…?

Selfishness or genuine care for those in need…?

As I set my course for 2012, there is much to evaluate and ponder here…

Oh, Lord, may my life and my dealings –large and small- be honorable before You who sees all things. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment