Wednesday, January 18: Jeremiah 19- Sacrifices.

Having had the opportunity to stand in Jerusalem and walk from the Temple Mount (the location of the Temple of Jeremiah’s day) down into the Hinnom Valley (where the sacrifices to Baal and the Tophets were offered), it struck me how close these two locations are to one another. Only a couple of minutes walk from one to the other…

I pictured the juxtaposition of these two sacrifices… on the Mount they sacrificed to Yahweh and in the valley a few minutes away they sacrificed to Baal. This became, for me, a picture of our two natures… on the one hand we serve the Lord and yet on the other, we have these pockets of sinfulness and selfishness.

Juxtaposed, sanctified, and sinful…

Oh Lord, I need Your help and mercy and grace. Help to overcome this pockets of sin in my life. Mercy for the sins I commit regularly and grace to move on and to grow and be transformed into the likeness of Jesus.

Praise be to You, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment