Friday, October 25: Deuteronomy 4- Keep God's decrees.

Moses stood on the plain opposite the Promised Land and taught the people, one final time, the decrees of the Lord. Follow them so that you may live and may go in and take possession of the land that the LORD, the God of your fathers, is giving you (1).

Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land the LORD your God gives you for all time (40).

As I read and meditated on this chapter today, the bolded words above drew me in. It wasn’t enough for the people to hear God’s Word or even to know God’s Word (‘know’ as if it were facts to be mastered for some test). No, the point of Moses’ final words was that the people would follow them and keep them, God decrees and commands.

There is a substantive difference between knowing and following, hearing and keeping! And this is what God was impressing on my heart today!

Looking back over Moses’ words, I find it fascinating that following and keeping God’s decrees comes with a promise… living in the land of God’s promise.

During OT times, ‘land’ was a physical reality defined by the lands God was giving to His people Israel. Now in the NT times, I take ‘land’ more metaphorically, in that we are living in the realm of God’s kingdom, God’s blessing. We are living in the place of God’s care and love.

God’s call is to follow and keep His decrees and God even blesses us when we do this… my take away for today in God’s Word.

God, I need to begin with following and keeping. I admit I do this inconsistently. I still give into sin and stray from Your way. Forgive me and give me strength to stay strong with You.

Holy Spirit, lead me. I recommit my surrender to You and my desire to listen for Your voice in order to follow it… Praise be to You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment