Thursday, October 31: Deuteronomy 9- Recognize who you were.

As I read this chapter, I couldn’t help but feel the weight of God’s pounding. Reminding Israel who they were, a stiff-necked rebellious people. I felt like a defendant standing before the Judge right before sentencing. “Mr. Israel you have been convicted of the following crimes.” Then the Judge begins reading the list of crimes.

It was painful as I stood and listened to God’s crime list against Israel. I knew a list could easily be drafted for me as well.

Guilty. Israel and I are guilty.

Then I remembered Israel was standing on the plains opposite the Promised Land. As guilty as they were, they were about to inherit God’s promise and march out under God’s protection.

This was not a sentencing hearing. The Judge was not going to throw the book at them. Instead this was a probate hearing and the Judge was about to award them the inheritance of a prized and loved Son!

Israel and I may be guilty but we were also loved. And love covers a multitude of sins (1Peter 4:8, see also Proverbs 10:12)!

My mind flashed through numerous NT passages where similar pictures were painted of we who are being saved.

For example, Ephesians 2:1-5 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live …. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts…. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved.

Recognize who you were, relish in your salvation and rejoice because in Christ you no longer have to live as you used to live! This is what I heard from the Lord in my time with Him today.

Recognize who you were, relish in your salvation and rejoice

because in Christ you no longer have to live as you used to live!

Oh, God, I sit awed at what you did for me, for all Your people. You took a broken potsherd of a person and You restored me to life full and rich with Your love, provision and care.

I pray, Lord, that my life reflects You, so that as I live people will praise You, the Creator and Restorer of lives!

To Your honor and glory, I choose to live as a response to Your amazing mercy and grace.

Through Jesus Christ, my Lord, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment