Monday, October 28: Deuteronomy 6- This passage makes sense.

One of the central statements in the OT is called ‘the Shema’ (the first word of verse 4 ‘listen’) and is recited by pious Jews daily. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

God is one… God is alone. God is #1. There is no other god but our God. To recite this truth everyday must leave a deep impression if it is recited with any conviction!

Believing God is One, places responsibility on our shoulders… to love this God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Loving God, adoring God, serving and following God with all of who we are… this is the response of faith and belief in this God!

And if I truly love the Lord God with heart, soul, strength then verses 6-9 make practical sense. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

I would want my children to love God as I do (6). And loving God with everything of who I am means I would likely talk about Him in the natural occurrences of life (7). And I would look for ways to place reminders in my life, so in my humanness and sin-filled prone to wander-ness, I stay connected with God’s Oneness and His directives (8-9).

Question is, do I believe God is One?  God alone is the Lord God Almighty?

Do You?...

Lord God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I believe! I believe You alone are God and You are One! I believe Your Word is perfect and all I need to live a life faithful to You. I believe You!

Alleluia. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment