Wednesday, October 9: 2Corinthians 11- Measuring faithfulness.

How far we have come??? Paul defends himself from so called ‘super apostles,’ slick talking possibly even wonder-working preachers, who were distorting the Gospel. And what is his defense? How rich he is? No. How big his church or car or house is? No. His prosperity? His amazing feat, visions, dreams, etc.? No, no, no!

Paul’s defense is the number of times he has been beaten and humiliated and left for dead for the sake of the Gospel.

Sacrifice for Christ was Paul’s hallmark of faithful service…

It used to be that people of the church honored sacrifice. Just read the lives of faith heroes, how much they gave –willingly gave, lovingly gave- for their Lord and the cause of Jesus.

Sadly, in our world now, a new breed of ‘super preachers’ are preaching that prosperity, wealth and worldly gain is the measure of God-blessed, God-honored lives. I see it in my culture but also in my travels throughout Africa.

Paul’s words here and in the chapter to come seems to cut the root of this Gospel distortion…

Wow, this passage lit a fire in me.

Eventually as the fire in me lowered to a simmer, I heard God whisper some pointed questions:

·         Bill, check yourself, see places where the seduction of ‘me-first’ is robbing you of a truly servant heart.

·         Remember Bill, remove the log before you attempt to remove the splinter.

·         Bill, would you sacrifice for me like Paul did? Would you? Would you have wanted to become part of My family if Paul’s fate was to be yours as well?

God drove home to me that as distorted as the modern day prosperity super-preachers may be, God’s care for me necessitated that I cooperate with Him walking His path, the narrow path. And that to do this faithfully meant that I have to take a hard and honest look at my life regularly, making sure I live faithfully to the Scriptures and obediently with Him.

And this is my prayer, Oh Lord, that I live faithfully to Your Scriptures and obediently to You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the one and only God.

I recommit and surrender again to You, Oh Lord. Use my life as You will for the advancement of Your Gospel near and far… and I will praise You still, no matter what my future brings. I pray this believing Your grace and Power will see me through to the end and not my own will power or strength. Halleluiah! Amen. Yeah! Romans 8:28-39!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment