Tuesday, October 29: Deuteronomy 7- A tough word.

The unfolding work and plan of God is difficult to swallow at times. Destruction of all the peoples of the land God has given Israel. It is difficult for me to fathom this and to answer the questions of people who ask, “Is this loving?”

How does one balance love and hate; mercy and justice?

How difficult it can be to be the person who executes punishment on behalf of the Sovereign. That was Israel’s role. They were God’s sword of justice against peoples who hated Him.

How difficult that must have been.

A HUGE caution floods my heart… world history has seen many atrocities committed in God’s (god’s) name. My heart sighs, “Bill, it is not yours to judge others. Walk with the Lord and do right. Live faithfully unto Him and leave the judging to Him.”

I cannot stay with these thoughts. I look back to the chapter and focus on verse 9: Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands. A positive faith-building nugget in a sea of judgment.

My heart begins to sing praises to my Lord God Almighty…

Oh, God, You are faithful! My life is a living testimony to that. You have protected, saved, inspired, encouraged and helped me at more times and in more ways that I can count. You have been faithful to Your people throughout the ages… Praise be to You, Lord God!!!

And You call me to faithfulness to You. You call me to keep Your covenant. Oh, God, please send Your Holy Spirit to flood my life so that I may have the strength, Your Spirit empowered strength, to do so. I am fully dependent on You. I apply my will to the task of following You, know that my strength will not be sufficient, I need Your power. I pray this trusting that You, who have begun a good work in me, will bring it to completion.

Thanks be to You, Oh Lord, my God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment