Friday, January 31: Judges 3- Grace and mercy.

What a sad cycle Israel falls into. First Israel sins. Then after things get really bad because God’s anger burns and God allows an enemy to rise up and oppress Israel, Israel cries out to the Lord and He saves them.

We see this cycle two times in full in this chapter and a third time referred to without details.

How crazy is this repeating a cycle of sin, oppression and cries for help? And yet this cycle dominated this chapter (and will dominate this book).

Initially, I thought about the graciousness of God to continue to rescue His people. Would I do that for a child who, over and over again, got into deep trouble and cried for help?

But then before long my thoughts shifted to my world. Don’t I, to a lesser extent, do this? I sin, then when consequences mount, I ask God for help. It is not exactly the same, but there are some similarities. And I always assume that God will be there for me with grace and mercy, in hand, welcoming me back. I love the parable of the Prodigal Son!

My heart sings for grace and mercy of which I have been and continue to be a recipient of, in great measure

Lord, if I have presumed upon Your grace and mercy, please forgive me.

If I am living to greater or lesser extents in this cycle of sin, punishment and only after the consequences get too much to bear do I call out for salvation, please show me the way out. I pray in Jesus, my Savior’s name. Amen.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment