Thursday, April 30: Acts 10- A revolution within the kingdom.

Does God love all people or just some of them? Jews of the first century were raised understanding that their God, the God of the Bible, was for them and not for others. They were the ‘holy people’ and unless you became a Jew, you couldn’t come under the blessing of God.

As the church was birthed first among Jews, this carried into the early Christ-followers. But a revolution of understanding was afoot and we read it in this chapter. The heart of the matter is confirmed by Peter’s words, I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right (34-35).

No favoritism with God based on language, culture, class, economic status, educations, gender or even religious upbringing. The God of the Scriptures is God for everyone who fears (reveres, worships, follows) him and does what is right.

Two keys are expressed here: fear –worship, follow, revere– and God and do what is right –obey Him. Reverence and obedience… two elements of a sincere and honest faith.

I began reviewing my life for indications of reverence and obedience to the Lord God.  At this point my time with the Lord turned inward…

Before I closed the Scriptures, I glanced back at verses 34-35 and another question pierced my heart, “Do I show favoritism? Do I restrict my witness to a favored ‘type’ of person or do I love all and seek all to come into God’s kingdom?”

I am pondering these things today…

Lord, obedience and reverence for You and no favoritism toward others… lessons for today. Help me to learn them, Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment