Saturday, May 21: Leviticus 12- Do I play favorites?.

I understand the message in this chapter. After birth a woman is ritually impure 1-2 weeks. She then must remain home for 1-2 months before going to the tabernacle to offer sacrifices to be made ritually pure. I don’t understand why the sex of the child affects the durations mentioned, but that is what God established. And God is God.

I wonder if this ritual, impurity, is a gift to the child. The mother’s attention is not divided between home and worship, but placed solely on the child for nurture and care during the time away from the tabernacle. I wonder but I am not certain.

I appreciate God’s heart for people of less means in the final verse of this chapter. But if she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean’ ” (8).

God takes great care in His OT law to provide access to Himself for all people, wealth is no barrier. Sacrifices cost… but God sets up a sliding scale! Wealth, status, power, importance do not garner spiritual favors with God.

Do I play favorites? Do I make wealth or some other human distinction a criterion for personal friendship or importance in my church? Hmmm…

Pierce my heart and search me with Your spotlight, Oh, God. Root out sin and the sin of favoritism and bigotry, that I might reflect Your love for all people. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment