Wednesday, May 18: Leviticus 9- Response to the glory of God.

What would a God-lover do in the presence of the glory of God? The people of Israel found out. After Aaron completed the sacrifices for himself and the people, Moses explains, …the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown (23-24).

What did the people do?  They spontaneously shouted for joy and fell facedown.

Shouted for joy… when they witnessed the glory of God they shouted for joy. I imagine the people shouting, “God, You are great! God, You are wonderful! Halleluiah! Praise be to You, Lord.” When the presence of God fell praise, adoration, and joy exited their heart in shouts of praise!!!

Fell facedown… even as praise exited their lips… they were overcome by God’s wonder and glory and they fell before Him. They prostrated themselves before the Great One.

I was touched by these two actions…in the face of God the people of God gave praise and humbled themselves!

Oh, the wonder… to see the glory of God. Oh, that I would see the glory of the Lord before I enter eternity.

It hit me that when I open God’s Word, I see God’s wonder. God left us His written word. When I gather with the community of faith for worship, God’s presence is with us.  How might I display joy and humility in those settings?

Humility… I need to make the conscious decision that the Word of God read, pondered and preached will direct my life. God’s Word directs me.  I do not judge it, I sit under it!

Joy… sing mightily, read and gather with interest, knowing God will meet me and us!

These are starters, more pondering can be done…

Lord, You are present with me. I don’t have to wait for some ‘special’ event. You are with me. Your Holy Spirit dwells in me.  Right now I bless You. I lift up Your name and declare, You are the great God above all gods and You are my God!!!

I will sit before You and surrender to Your will and way. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment