Thursday, May 12: Leviticus 4- Unintentionally.

The word popped off the page as if it were a flashing neon sign, “Unintentionally. Unintentionally.”

It appeared in the first sentence and then headlines each paragraph and example there after. “Unintentionally. Unintentionally.”

Verses 1-2:  “Say to the Israelites: ‘When anyone sins UNINTENTIONALLY and does what is forbidden in any of the LORD’s commands— (emphasis mine).

My first reflection was how wonderful it was for God to provide a way out from under sin.

But then a touch of reverent fear built up in me. But there are times when the unintentional/intentional line is blurry –in the heat of an argument when I curse or say a demeaning word like “you fool” (see Matthew 5:22).  Is that intentional or unintentional???

And then there are other times when I cross the sin-line intentionally. I calculate a ‘white’ lie to get out of a situation or stretch the truth or leave out some piece of information to make a deal.

Is there no sacrifice for these sins? Were Israelites doomed to carry the weight of these intentional sins on their consciences forever?

Immediately I found love for my Gracious Savior Jesus racing to my heart. Through Jesus the word ‘unintentiona’l is removed from God’s gift of forgiveness. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). God makes no distinction whether the sin is intentional or unintentional, Believers are forgiven in Jesus!!! What a gift!  What a savior!

My third reflection is that sin is nothing to be trifled with. Sin is serious business and this led me to spend some moments in introspection and confession. Intentional or unintentional, I want to seek the forgiveness of God… and be free from the weight of sin.

Oh, God, help me to search me, to be honest with how I am and how I live and to confess those ugly, sin-filled parts of me. Then, Lord, I ask You to search me for Your eyes are more true and Your judgments fully honest. Search me and tell me, that I might confess to You… In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment