Saturday, May 27: Leviticus 18- .

If you are establishing a human society, at some point you will have to set up appropriate sexual boundaries for the society. And this is precisely what the Lord does in this chapter. God establishes the sexual morays for Israel.

Rather than examining the specifics, I was drawn to the Lord’s opening remarks. Verse 1-3: The LORD said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the LORD your God. You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices.

God’s people have different sexual standards than other people.

In our 21st century world we are facing raging changes in sexual morays in the general culture. Homosexuality is no longer taboo and I just heard a radio blurb that someone in Utah is challenging the law against polygamy. Honestly, I am not surprised. And as the morays change, I don’t see why this person will not win the court battle. The world’s sexual standards are changing!

But, verses 1-3 reminds me, Christ-followers standards do not need to change with the changing winds in our society. No matter where our world and its standards go, we are to hold ourselves captive to the teaching of God’s Word in the Bible!  This is true in all areas of life, not merely our sexual standards.

We are to live faithfully to the Lord no matter what society deems is appropriate.

Additionally, my heart says that I have to be careful not to expect and hold society to God’s standards. Christ-followers absolutely are held to God’s standards, but people who believe other things… no, I cannot hold them to God’s standard. I cannot legislate fidelity to God’s ways through human regulation!

There is plenty here for me to chew this morning…

Will I live according to God’s way or my society’s way? Will you?

Lord, help me to resist the pressure –intentional and unintentional –to succumb to the standards and ways of the world, rather than living according to your revealed will and way. Lord, there can be so much pressure to conform… buying habits, socializing habits, thought patterns. Lord, help me to stay strong and follow Your way.

And also, Lord, help me to be a light and witness to you in a way that invites rather than condemns. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment